When to Schedule an Appointment
Patients should seek out Physical Therapy services following acute ankle injuries to be effectively screened for the aforementioned interventions. Appropriate candidates will be treated effectively with manual therapy, exercise and balance training, sport specific exercise interventions to facilitate return to sport and to prevent recurrence.
1. Almeida SA et al. Epidemiological patterns of musculoskeletal injuries and physical training. Med Sci Sp Ex. 1999;31:1176-1182
2. Ferran NA, Maffulli N. Epidemiology of sprains of the lateral ankle ligament complex. Foot Ankle Clin. 2006;11:659-662.
3. Bachmann, L. et al. Accuracy of Ottawa ankle rules to exclude fractures of the ankle and mid foot. A systematic review. BMJ. 2003;326:417
4. Braun, BL. Et al. Effects of ankle sprain in a general clinic population 6-18 months after medical evaluation. Arch Fam Med. 1999;8:143-149.
5. Malliaropoulos N, Ntessalen M, Papacostas E, Longo UG, Maffulli N. Reinjury after acute lateral ankle sprains in elite track and field athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37:1755-1761.
6. Green T, Refshauge K, Crosbie J, Adams R. A randomized controlled trial of a passive accessory joint mobilization on acute ankle inversion sprains. Phys Ther. 2001;81:984-994
7. Eisenhart AW, Gaeta TJ, Yens DP. Osteopathic manipulative treatment in the emergency department for patients with acute ankle injuries. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2003;103:417-421.
8. Whitman JM, Cleland JA, Mintken PE, et al. Predicting short-term response to thrust and nonthrust manipulation and exercise in patients post inversion ankle sprain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39:188-200
9. Truyols-Dominguez, S. et al. Efficacy of Thrust and Nonthrust Manipulation and Exercise With or Without the Addition of Myofascial Therapy for the Management of Acute Inversion Ankle Sprain: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2013;43(5):300-309.
10. Cleland et al. Manual physical therapy and exercise versus supervised exercise program in the management of patients status post inversion ankle sprain. A multi centered trial. JOSPT. 2013.
12. Loudon JK, Reiman MP, Sylvain J. The efficacy of manual joint mobilisation/ manipulation in treatment of lateral ankle sprains: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2014;48: 365–370.
13. Kerkhoffs GM, Rowe BH, Assendelft WJ, Kelly KD, Struijs PA, van Dijk CN. Immobilisation for acute ankle sprain. A systematic review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2001;121:462-471.
14. Webster KA, Gribble PA. Functional rehabilitation interventions for chronic ankle instability: a systematic review. J Sport Rehabil. 2010;19:98-114.
15. Martin, R. et al. Ankle Stability and Movement Coordination Impairments: Ankle Ligament Sprains. Clinical Practice Guidelines Linked to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health From the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy AssociationJ Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2013;43(9):A1-A40.